- Wellington or Timaru location
+ HV/MV Power Design Engineer Role
+ Established Award-winning firm
+ Future-focused and expanding sector
Definitely at the sharp end when it comes to delivering real changes to the power industry, this team is winning awards for designing and delivering commercial scale solar / hybrid power system in New Zealand, Australia and the Pacific Rim.
With a strong and growing team, they combine long time industry knowledge with some real smarts from their diverse team of Engineers. Not only are they successul at winning the work, they care very much about the work they do and the communities they service.
There are essentially three teams working together in this office: Business, Solar and HV Power. As a Power Design Engineer your focus will to work alongside the solar team to connect systems to the grid, providing concepts, reviewing options and, importantly providing fully details designs - you have to enjoy putting the details in place for this role.
The challenges are many:
- Solar design requires particular protocols and connection / protection requirements.
- Systems in remote locations need to be thought out and designed for durability, reliability and ongoing maintenance considerations.
- Choice of product lines and components similarly need to take into account the environment and local expertise.
- All this to a deadline and a budget.
This is a company with less than 25 staff, so versatility and the ability to get on well with the team and the communities they work with have always been fundamentals, something you will notice when you get there.
You will also get to support the Business Development team by contributing to developing tenders and proposals, identifying and designing technical solutions, creating conceptual designs and assisting with accurate pricing and estimates work.
Area of electrical design you will deal with most reguilarly include: equipment selection, plant layouts, cabling and conductor design and selection, protection design, line design, cable and fuse selection, panels and substation / switchroom layouts, SCADA and controls design, commissioning support.
Skills and Experience
Ideally you will have a number of the following:
- BE (Electrical) or NZCE or equivalent with 5+ years commercial experience
- Experience of HV and MV Primary and Seconday detail design
- Strong CAD skills, ideally in AutoCAD.
- Detailed knowledge of design processes and documentation
- Technical writing and documentation
- Previous experience in tendering and proposal development
- Proactive communication skills internally and externally focused.
Desirable skills include:
- Industrial and/ or HV experience
- E-Tap, DigSilient, PVsyst, modelling tools
- Previous experience working on projects delivered in an international setting
- Previous experience with multilateral donors (ADB, WB, EU etc.)
- Renewables experience an advantage but not a requirement
This is simply, one of the best opportunities around to become a part of the future of power and the transiton from a fossil-fueled work to a sustainable, better way of providing energy. Working in this commercially-savvy company with industry backing alongside dedicated solar / renewable Engineers is definitely the best way to learn quickly and future-proof your own career.
Find out more about this is a well-rewarded position today.
If you are keen to know more, please contact Lachlan McNeill on +64 3 365 6673 or Richard Foster on +64 3 379 7002. Alternatively, to submit an application press the APPLY button and follow the steps, include your CV as an attached Microsoft Word document.
NOTE: FOSTERRA and ACORVA are jointly and exclusively managing this role for our client.