- Front line role in designing and delivering renewable energy projects
- Gain exceptional experience home and away
- A real opportunity to take your career places
From their base in New Zealand this fast-moving company has risen to the challenge of taking renewable energy from the drawing board it to the people of the world. While at home they are winning awards for astute business acumen and being a champion of innovation, the action is also happening elsewhere on the planet. Now, having delivered successful projects in Central Asia, the Middle East and the Pacific Islands, they are now taking their resources, talent and people connections on to bigger things.
This is a future we would like you to be a part of. If you have a passion for meaningful, work, good technical foundations, a personal energy and organisation to make things happen plus the attitude to ride the challenges, then walk this way..
The core purpose is to work with the team to design, build and commission renewable energy generation & distribution projects. The work will start after scoping and finish with a fully operational and commissioned system. Initially these will typically be grid-tied or off-grid photo-voltaic solar generation micro-grid electrical systems, and ongoing R&D may broaden this to encompass water, thermal and other high efficiency HV/MV/LV solutions as they come on stream.
Much of the planning, design and monitoring stages will be done from the modern South Canterbury offices, but you will need to get on a plane to manage the final commissioning stages (typically two weeks for a project).
Working alongside the Engineering Manager, you will be:
- Scoping projects in collaboration with internal teams and site appraisal
- Reviewing technical briefs and documentation to ensure suitability and compliance and all project stages.
- Developing a project plan and allocating resources, access and costs.
- Taking the design from scoping to fabrication/construction stage documentation including LV systems and HV Connection / distribution.
- Managing compliance across all disciplines.
- Overseeing CAD team in drawing production and reviewing specifications.
- Liaising with other professionals as required.
- Developing a robust and complete commissioning plan.
- Commissioning project on site using robust, comprehensive processes. (typically 3 - 4 times per year for 2 weeks per trip)
- Resolve technical issues (hardware and software) as required
- Establishing warm and effective relationships with the people and communities you work within.
- Ensuring all operations and maintenance documentation is correct and understood.
- Playing a part in improving the future network by developing procedures and strategies.
- Continually learning about renewable solutions and establishing yourself as a credible expert.
Essentially this is a Project Engineer role with a sustainability focus, a great design / PM mix and some interesting travel in your year. Many of the locations are remote, with limited infrastructure (that's why you're there) and we need a certain type of person to bring these solutions into place.
You will need be an Engineer with good design experience of solar PV power solutions from domestic battery / inverter schemes to commercial / industrial scale projects. This includes the practicalities of construction, budgets and compliance. This role is close to the action, so confident, clear communications and resourcefulness will pay great dividends.
Many of these projects bring new technology to often remote communities for whom this can be strange and challenging concept. The key to this team's success is the ability to understand and adapt to local customs, behaviours and structures to become the friendly face of the project. In practice, this means joining in a trench digging team or a village wedding, and the key is to act and communicate with confidence and sensitivity. The rewards hardly need explaining.
This role needs a healthy balance of technical understanding, systems and communications.
To give an indication, we would expect:
- A relevant tertiary qualification in Electrical or Power Engineering ideally with IPENZ membership.
- A minimum of five years' experience in design and commissioning of relevant generation technologies and power systems.
- A good awareness of HV transmission and distribution at this scale.
- A clean and valid driver's licence
- Good computer skills (MS Office Suite and possibly AutoCAD)
- Clear and confident written and spoken communications.
- Very good health and physical fitness/ability.
- A genuine interest in sustainable solar, thermal, wave, wind energy solutions.
- The ability to travel on occasions internationally with minimal support.
On offer is a unique opportunity to join the growth of renewable energy into utility scale developments and be part of a very successful and nationally awarded company making waves in the sector well past our shores. The support, the continuing development and the experiences will be very hard to equal for your professional and personal development.
The environment within the office is dynamic, professional and supportive - outside is one of the most stunning, beautiful places to chill out in New Zealand. Seaside, lakes and mountains make South Canterbury a prime destination for families and individuals who love the outdoors - mountain biking, road cycling, tramping, climbing. fishing, skiing and watersports are all there on the doorstep. The quality of public facilities, housing and schools in the region is enviable and great value. If you haven't considered South Canterbury as an option beforehand, now is a great time.
To register your interest in this or similar roles, apply below.
For a discreet discussion, please call Lachlan McNeill +64 3 365 6673 or Richard Foster +64 21 85 45 45 for more insight.
NOTE: FOSTERRA and ACORVA are jointly and exclusively managing this role for our client.
Electrical Engineer, Project Support - Solar / Renewable Energy
Timaru ~ Canterbury
Engineer - Electrical