- Key role in Power Distribution Network Operation
- Smart use of HV knowledge and management skills
- Excellent Lifestyle in New Zealand's South Island
Based in the Heart of the South Island of New Zealand and 100% owned by the community, Alpine Energy delivers the energy to the businesses and homes, powering industry and keeping people safe and warm. Looking after both the efficient distribution of energy and strategic upgrading of the infrastructure, Alpine Energy has its feet on the ground and a fresh eye on the future.
Things are moving ahead and this brings an opportunity for an Experienced Energy Distribution Network Controller to join the company.
The aim of this role is essentially to ensure that the network operates reliably, efficiently and safely day to day and particularly during emergency and special works.
This is a very active operational role keeping a finger on the pulse of the systems, planning ahead and willingly taking the lead when the moment comes.
Joining the Network Control team, you will be:
- monitoring the network (voltages, current, power flow and SCADA statuses)
- responding to emergency situations by performing HV circuit switching operations and safety procedures.
- carrying out robust isolation and protection sequences during planned maintenance operations.
- playing a part in improving the future network by developing procedures and strategies.
- issuing and cancelling permits
- communicating, confirming and advising swiftly and clearly to all parties.
- As expected, this is an active role involving organisation, planning, clear thinking, effective communication and an decisive approach.
You will need to possess very good experience and knowledge of electrical supply authority facilities both from a system viewpoint and to component level. From your time in the T&D (Transmission and Distribution) or Electricity Distributor / District Network Operator (DNO) environment, you will have a thorough awareness of fault and service degradation causes and be very aware of the various components of a distribution network. In this role you will make excellent use of this to analyse and act with clear solutions when the time comes.
This role needs a balance of strategic input and practical insight, so would equally suit an Electrical Engineer (or Senior Electrician / Electrical Technician) with "heavy" experience in the design and operation of distribution networks.
To give an indication, we would expect:
- A relevant tertiary qualification in Electrical or Power Engineering
- A minimum of five years' experience with Electrical Distribution Infrastructure. Understanding of standards for HV switching, isolation, shutdown management and restart.
- Corresponding knowledge of NZ or similar Electrical Codes of Practice, standards, and supply regulations (UK C&G 6037, NZQA 20618, Australian UET12 or UEP12 etc.)
- A clean and valid driver's licence Good computer skills (MS Office Suite)
- Clear and confident written and spoken communications.
On offer is a unique opportunity to embrace a pivotal role with rewarding and attainable goals - all within a well-run and friendly workplace. For a person who is a T&D Design Engineer, SAP (Senior Authorised Person, or HV1 Authorized Person / Competent Switching Person) this position would make an excellent transition into the hub of the organisation.
The environment within the office is dynamic, professional and supportive - outside is one of the most stunning, beautiful places to chill out in New Zealand. Seaside, lakes and mountains make South Canterbury a prime destination for families and individuals who love the outdoors - mountain biking, road cycling, tramping, climbing. fishing, skiing and watersports are all there on the doorstep. The quality of public facilities, housing and schools in the region is enviable and great value. If you haven't considered South Canterbury as an option beforehand, now is a great time.
To register your interest in this or similar roles, apply below.
For a discreet discussion, please call Richard Foster +64 21 85 45 45 or Lachlan McNeill +64 3 365 6673 for more insight.
NOTE: FOSTERRA and ACORVA are jointly and exclusively managing this role for our client.